BGP Best Path Selection

Studying the BSCI for CCNP can be hard for the reason that you need to memorize some stuff like BGP Best Path Selection. Few months ago I found this mnemonic helpful to memorize the BGP Path Selection Process. It's easy as eating pancakes and it is We Love Oranges AS Oranges Mean Pure Refreshment. By taking note of the letters in caps, one will immediately remember how BGP selects the best path by the list below.


“We Love Oranges AS Oranges Mean Pure Refreshment”

W Weight (Highest)
L LOCAL_PREF (Highest)
O Originate (local) routes that are advertise through the "network" command or redistributed from an IGP.
AS AS_PATH (shortest)
O ORIGIN Code (IGP > EGP > Incomplete)
M MED (lowest)
P Paths (External > Internal)
R RID (lowest)


That was easy! So from now on, every time you see an orange, BGP will always come in mind! Cheers!

Comments

9 Responses to "BGP Best Path Selection"

Anonymous said... February 28, 2009 at 4:16 PM

more on BGP please. hehehe. aus to...

Anonymous said... February 28, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Yeah keep on rocking dude. This post is good and very helpful.

Anonymous said... March 1, 2009 at 3:28 PM

I love you so much!!!! Keep on posting!!!!! heheeheheehehhe

Anonymous said... April 13, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Keep the dream man! Never give it up. Keep on posting! Can we have more on theology

Unknown said... March 1, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Good job.

Anonymous said... March 4, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Women Loves Sick Arrogant Original Men Even In Emergency Room

W=Weight
L=Local Preference
S=Self-Originated
A=AS path
O=Origin
M=Med
E=External
I=Igp costs
E=Ebgp peering
R=Router ID

Anonymous said... April 5, 2013 at 12:28 AM

ooooooooooooops, I can remember now...Thanks a lot

Dinsdale said... June 7, 2013 at 4:03 AM

Brilliant

dreamweaver said... March 8, 2014 at 5:07 AM

Lower the Weight higher the preference

Post a Comment

Certifications

Certifications

The Dreamer

A fun loving person who enjoys learning new things. Currently working as a Network Engineer supporting the global network of a Fortune 500 company. This blog serves as my notes for the labs I created for my CCIE journey. I can guarantee there are errors in my posts. If you spot them, please let me know.

Join my Facebook Page I WANT TO BE A CCIE

Donate to the Cause

My aim is to create materials for free and possibly a free lab. If you wish to help out, please send any amount. Thanks.

Join my Bandwagon

Blogs that I Read