Network Statements Shortcut for the Lazy

Sitting here reading blogs of famous CCIE's, I suddenly became sleepy. Tried some of the labs with lots of interfaces per device and I kinda feel lazy typing the network commands. So I did some of the shortcuts as I may say. I'm the kind of person who always looks for more effective and easier ways to accomplish something the right way. That's why im a fan of command aliases in Cisco routers.:) I'm not sure if this is the right way but it works for me when I'm lazy typing.

Here goes a simple solution to advertise all interfaces in a routing protocol. In this example I am using OSPF.


R1(config)#router ospf 1
R1(config-router)#network 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 area 0

R2(config)#router ospf 1
R2(config-router)#network 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 area 0



These network statements mean to match and advertise any ip segment originating from the router. It seems that using the wildcard mask 255.255.255.255 works also but I prefer the wildcard of 0.0.0.0 because its a lot easier to type. :)

This shortcut works effectively if you are doing your personal lab and at one point became lazy such as me. If you have interfaces that you want to advertise to a certain area, you can always add the network command and presto it will be in a new area. Enjoy but don't stay lazy!



Comments

3 Responses to "Network Statements Shortcut for the Lazy"

Anonymous said... April 13, 2009 at 1:44 PM

gooody

Anonymous said... July 19, 2011 at 3:13 PM

I'd always add a 'passive-interface default' to the ospf process if using a 'catch all' command

Anonymous said... September 2, 2013 at 2:51 AM

why we go for Passive interface command ? could you please explain with scenario

Post a Comment

Certifications

Certifications

The Dreamer

A fun loving person who enjoys learning new things. Currently working as a Network Engineer supporting the global network of a Fortune 500 company. This blog serves as my notes for the labs I created for my CCIE journey. I can guarantee there are errors in my posts. If you spot them, please let me know.

Join my Facebook Page I WANT TO BE A CCIE

Donate to the Cause

My aim is to create materials for free and possibly a free lab. If you wish to help out, please send any amount. Thanks.

Join my Bandwagon

Blogs that I Read