Cisco Router as a DNS server

Not exactly like a DNS server that is hosted from a server and so on and so forth, the Cisco Router can act like a DNS server without the service stated above. It can even act as a proxy dns server, meaning forwarding the request to the upstream DNS server and cache the replies from the DNS server, so it can use the cache entries for other requesting hosts. We will only focus on the simple and practical configuration. I don't even know if this feature can be called a "DNS server" feature. :P If you have your own Dynamips Lab and has fixed ip addresses, it would be easier though to use hostnames when trying to ping devices. This can be achieved by the "ip host" command. It can be configured as the example below.


Router(config)#ip host R1 1.1.1.1
Router(config)#ip host R2 2.2.2.2
Router(config)#ip host R3 3.3.3.3
Router(config)#ip host R4 4.4.4.4

Let's do a ping test.



Router#ping R1

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 1.1.1.1, timeout is 2 seconds:
...


Well, R1 now resolves to 1.1.1.1. There you have it, makes life easier! :P

Comments

0 Responses to "Cisco Router as a DNS server"

Post a Comment

Certifications

Certifications

The Dreamer

A fun loving person who enjoys learning new things. Currently working as a Network Engineer supporting the global network of a Fortune 500 company. This blog serves as my notes for the labs I created for my CCIE journey. I can guarantee there are errors in my posts. If you spot them, please let me know.

Join my Facebook Page I WANT TO BE A CCIE

Donate to the Cause

My aim is to create materials for free and possibly a free lab. If you wish to help out, please send any amount. Thanks.

Join my Bandwagon

Blogs that I Read