VRF and VRF-lite

I remembered that several months ago, I had an implementation regarding VRF-lite. In my previous posts VRF Basics and MPLS VPN VRF Select I haven't actually mentioned about VRF-lite. What exactly is this and how does this differ with VRF used in MPLS VPN?

First, ask the question, what is required to run VRF in the MPLS VPN implementation? Of course VRF, MP-BGP and MPLS should be running on the Provider's routers. It would need BGP VPNv4 neighborship to make MPLS VPN run.

VRF-lite is normally VRF without MPLS. This is Cisco's way, of what is so called virtualization. This can be useful of course if the enterprise has networks of overlapping IP addresses or some segments they don't want to be reached by other segments. Its kinda like VLAN in the sense that its in WAN. In this sense, VRF-lite configuration doesn't need the route-target part. For every VRF is a separate routing table. Routing VRF-lite can be done by static or dynamic under its vrf instance. I think I'll create a lab for this to show how it can be configured using IGP's. By the way, these days, I wonder why I am posting more on MPLS than any other topic? Does it mean I want to pursue CCIE SP than gettting the R&S? Good day! :)

Comments

5 Responses to "VRF and VRF-lite"

Anonymous said... August 22, 2009 at 5:04 PM

That's a nice little summary of VRF/VRF-Lite.. Thanks for posting!

Anonymous said... February 13, 2010 at 3:52 PM

kasak posting mama.;)

nextautomation said... November 17, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Very good info.. thanks alot

Unknown said... February 6, 2014 at 12:54 PM

so this means we will be using bgp with ipv4 configuration than vpnv4 configuration.. please explain the meaning vrf without mpls is vrf lite ..

Unknown said... June 5, 2014 at 2:35 AM

I was looking forward to the VRF lite lab.

Post a Comment

Certifications

Certifications

The Dreamer

A fun loving person who enjoys learning new things. Currently working as a Network Engineer supporting the global network of a Fortune 500 company. This blog serves as my notes for the labs I created for my CCIE journey. I can guarantee there are errors in my posts. If you spot them, please let me know.

Join my Facebook Page I WANT TO BE A CCIE

Donate to the Cause

My aim is to create materials for free and possibly a free lab. If you wish to help out, please send any amount. Thanks.

Join my Bandwagon

Blogs that I Read